The person who can read well has a much better opportunity of knowing and understanding Bible scripture than the person who has to rely on what others tell him about the Word of YHWH. Since this is the case, reading the Bible regularly cannot be understated. In days of old Israel, public scripture reading was a regular part of communicating Elohim’s [YHWH] Word to His people. In this day of internet browsing, we are favored above all people to be able to read and understand what YHWH says, especially when the Holy Spirit is our Counselor. Not only can record numbers of people read, but record number of copies of the Bible are available to read. How can you receive the greatest benefit from reading your Bible? (“Heavenly Father Has A Name“; “Holy Spirit 101“; “Listening to the Holy Spirit“; “What Is Washing By The Word?“; “The Need to Keep Spiritually Clean“; “YHWH’s Track of Righteousness“)
- Read the Bible prayerfully while asking the Holy Spirit to meet your personal need in your heart and mind as you read. (Psalm 119:18)
- Read the Bible thoughtfully while pondering the meaning for your personal life.
- Read the Bible carefully by taking note of the words that are used, as well as how these words and ideas they convey relate to one another.
- Study the Bible and read it often. Restudy repeatedly and pray about what you read. In this way, Elohim’s Word can take root in your heart. When reading your Bible, take time out every day. When reading longer books, break your reading and study into smaller portions that you can ponder daily. When you read large portions of the Bible, be certain that you are rested and alert. Avoid being disturbed when you need to study in depth.
- Study YHWH’s Word regularly. There is no substitute for reading the Bible over anything man can write. Consider setting regular time aside for reading and study so that you can make it a habit.
- Be faithful at reading and study. Don’t be alarmed or discouraged when you aren’t able to follow through as usual. Faithfully resume your practice of reading and study. They is no substitute for personal study.
- Read the Bible with obedience in mind. Because YHWH’s Word is written for you, it is essential to learn to obey. (Exodus 24:3)
Another reason that YHWH’s Word is important is because the Bible convicts and measures sin, the roots of creating necessary change in a receptive heart.
- Nehemiah returns to assist returning Jews to rebuild the city walls and gates. Nehemiah believes that knowing the Word of Elohim is so important that he assembles the people for readings lasting 3 hours daily. This creates positive change in their hearts and minds. (Nehemiah 9:3)
- Before Yahshua [Jesus] ascended, He promised that the Holy Spirit would come to His disciples. The Holy Spirit exists to convict of sin, a Teacher between righteousness and judgment. (John 16:8)
- At Pentecost, Peter uses scripture to rebuke Israel for crucifying the Messiah. His sermon resulted in 3000 souls being convicted and accepting salvation. (Acts 2:37-41)
The Bible corrects and even acts as a mirror. (James 1:23-25) YHWH’s Word is a seed. (1 Peter 1:23) YHWH’s Word is a lamp. (Psalm 119:105; John 8:12) YHWH’s Word is a sword in spiritual battle. (Ephesians 6:17) YHWH’s Word is spiritual food. (Hebrews 5:12-14; “Understanding Sin“; “YHWH’s Faithful: Victory in Spiritual Battle“)
“You have done good to Your servant, O YHWH, according to Your Word. Teach me good sense and knowledge, for I have trusted in Your commands. Before I was afflicted I myself was going astray, but now I have guarded Your Word.” – Psalm 119:65-67, ISR98
YHWH’s Word can correct believers when they operate in honest and unintentional error. Aquila and Priscilla uses the Bible to help a young teacher named Apollos. (Acts 18:24-26) Paul does the same for disciples of John the Baptist that he meets in Ephesus. (Acts 19:1-7) The Bible can also correct you as you study, acting as a refining fire in your life. (Matthew 3:11-12; Luke 12:49; “Refining Your Heart“; “Wisdom & the Battle of Two Kingdoms“)
YHWH’s Word cleanses. One of the pieces of furniture in the Temple was the bronze laver. (Exodus 38:8) It was a large upright bowl filled with water resting on a pedestal. The priests used it to wash. The Word of Elohim can be thought of much as this laver. Since disciples of Messiah are now the temple or tabernacle, the Bible has the power to cleanse. More importantly, while the laver was effective only for physical cleansing, the Bible and the Holy Spirit are effective for complete cleansing. (1 Peter 1:22; 1 John 1:9; “The Unapologetic Christian“; “The Miracle of Living Water“)
The Bible and the Holy Spirit can cleanse the disciple from all moral filth, wrong thoughts and fear which keeps disciples from a sound mind. (Psalm 1:2; Joshua 1:8, Philippians 4:8-9; 2 Peter 1:5-10) With your cooperation, the Bible has the power to cleanse your mind. (James 1:22-26; Psalm 119:172; “Opposing Fear“; “Overcoming Fear during Tough Times“; “Agape: Discipleship is Renewal“; “Spiritual Fruit & Renewing Your Mind“)
YHWH’s Word firmly establishes truth. (John 8:31) It confirms the truth in your heart. (“Filling Your Life with Truth Instead of Deception“)
YHWH’s Word confirms your salvation. Christians often are plagued by doubts, mostly because gaps in their upbringing and the continual onslaught by the world around them. (John 3:16, 6:27, 35, 37, 40, 10:27-29; Romans 8:1; “The Real Power Behind Baptism“; “Foundation of Salvation“; “Roots of Salvation“)
“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.” – John 5:24, NKJV
YHWH’s Word confirms His hand in your life. “And we know that all matters work together for good to those who love Elohim, to those who are called according to His purpose.” – Romans 8:28, ISR98
YHWH’s Word confirms forgiveness through the Law of Forgiveness. Believers can grow accustomed to carry unnecessary guilt because of life trauma and unjust treatment by others. (Matthew 6:12-14) It isn’t about feeling. It’s about trust. When you trust your Heavenly Father and do what He says, this confirms your favor, completing a circle of personal trust as you grow in spiritual maturity. (“Power of the Right Hand“; “Mind Control of the Beast“; “Single-minded Commitment in Face of Trauma“; “Is Your Forgiveness Real?“)
YHWH’s Word equips. (Proverbs 22:21) The Bible equips for spreading the truth. (Acts 8:26-35) The Bible equips for counseling others through Messiah and Spirit. (1 Timothy 1:3, 18, 4:4:6, 13-15; 2 Timothy 2:1-2, 15) YHWH’s Word equips for using spiritual gifts. A spiritual gift is an ability given by the Holy Spirit for the purpose of edifying the body or gathering of the Messiah to spread the message of salvation. (“Disciples: Focused on the Messiah & His Purpose“; “Gifts of the Spirit“)
“that the Elohim of our Master Yahshua Messiah, the Father of esteem, would give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened, so that you know what is the expectation of His calling, and what are the riches of the esteem of His inheritance in the set-apart [sanctified] ones” – Ephesians 1:17-18, ISR98
YHWH’s people suffer for the lack of knowledge; the knowledge of Elohim that is. (Hosea 4:6) A knowledge of His Word provides His people with the maturity that they require to use spiritual gifts in a way to glorify Father, Son and Set-Apart [Holy] Spirit. (“Video Study: The Right Kind of Knowledge“; “Living in an Apostate World“; “The Importance of Practical Repentance“)
YHWH’s Word equips disciples for battle against satanic forces. In Ephesians 6:14-17, Paul likens the armor of a believer to the function of the armor of a Roman soldier. In the same sense, the gathering of genuine Disciples of Messiah work together to protect the body or gathering of believers. Disciples come to know YHWH through His Word. (Jeremiah 9:24; Psalm 14:1; John 17:3; Romans 1:19-20, 3:10; “Strongholds & the Armor of YHWH“; “Psalm 91: Lifestyle & Protection“; “A Lifestyle Message from Jeremiah“; “A Hidden Lifestyle Message from Messiah“; “The Antichrist & the War on Reality“; “Disciples of Messiah & the Authority of Man“)